A primary goal at JGL is to resolve controversies in the most efficient and effective manner in alignment with our client’s needs. This vision has maintained our firm at the forefront of alternative dispute resolution practices since our inception. Through a clear understanding of our client’s goals and a deep knowledge of the facts and law, our attorneys devise and execute negotiating strategies aimed at achieving the optimum result.
The scope of matters handled by our Alternate Dispute Resolution attorneys include:
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Business Torts
- Commercial Contractual
- Labor and Employment
Whether through informal negotiation, mediation, arbitration, early settlement, or other dispute resolution strategy, JGL has helped clients resolve complex and delicate disputes in the areas of labor and collective bargaining, employment, construction, commercial, contractual, maritime and business torts. In the past, we have participated as vigorous advocates in mediation and arbitration procedures under local rules and pursuant to the American Arbitration Association Rules, and the Rules of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, among others. Our success also extends to the efficient resolution of judicial actions prior to trial when it is in our client’s best interests.
We are experienced in providing a comprehensive approach to disputes, not only to resolve them, but also to prevent them. Our team is passionate about learning the traits and intricacies of our client’s business to provide proactive strategies to avoid disputes, such as through day-to-day practices, internal policies, contract drafting, business plans and early detection of potential conflicts.
In addition to the representation of clients, attorneys from the Firm offer their services as arbitrators, mediators, and court appointed special masters. For example, Steven C. Lausell is listed on the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico List of Mediators for Court-Annexed Mediation with expertise in the following types of claims: construction contracts; products liability; controversies involving technical/engineering background; and commercial/business operations. Mr. Lausell has experience as mediator and arbitrator, and as a court appointed special master.
Our Alternate Dispute Resolution attorneys have practiced in a number of venues and forums, including:
- American Arbitration Association
- Private Mediators and Arbitrators
- Courts of First Instance of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States District Court for the Federal District of Puerto Rico
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States First Circuit Court of Appeals (CAMP)
- International Chamber of Commerce
- Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service (FMCS)
- Office of Mediation and Adjudication of the Department of Labor and Human Resources of Puerto Rico
- Bureau of Conciliation and Arbitration of the Department of Labor and Human Resources of Puerto Rico
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission